Managing Student Loans

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program Information. 

As part of the The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, also called the “Stimulus Bill”, the Department of Defense was funded and authorized to create the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program which provides a lifetime benefit of up to $6,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing licenses, certificates, credentials or degree programs leading to employment in Portable Career Fields.

All Spouses of DoD Active Duty members and activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components who are on Title 10 orders are eligible to receive MyCAA Financial Assistance.  The benefits once received continue even if the military member leaves active service.

Military spouses who are legally separated under court order or statute are not eligible. Spouses who are Active Duty or activated Guard or Reserve members themselves are also not eligible. Coast Guard spouses are also not eligible.   

MyCAA pays tuition for education and training courses, for professional licenses, certifications, and credentials. This includes state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other occupations requiring recognized certifications. It also pays for licensing exams and other related courses. Continuing Education Unit classes that are including are those offered through professional associations and degree programs leading to employment in Portable Career Fields. MyCAA also pays for High School Completion courses, GED tests and English as a Second Language classes.

MyCAA does not pay for electronic devices or computers of any kind. It does not pay for college entrance exams and related prep courses, nor any application, graduation or membership fees. It does not pay for student activity fees, child care, lodging, parking, transportation, or medical services. MyCAA does not pay separate costs for books, supplies or equipment.

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA Web site at

Once spouse’s Profile information is provided, MyCAA will verify spouse DEERS benefit eligibility. Eligible spouses will create their own Career and Training Plan and request Financial Assistance when they are within 30 days of each course’s start dates. Additionally, spouses are responsible for applying to their selected school or program and enrolling in each course included in their approved Career and Training Plan.

Financial Assistance must be requested by the spouse. It will be approved by MyCAA and provided directly to schools on a course-by-course basis.

The process for requesting and receiving Financial Assistance is: The military spouse opens a MyCAA Account and establishes a Career and Training Plan that includes the spouse’s Portable Career Field and chosen occupation, the correct name of school location and course information including such information as course titles, codes, costs and start and end dates, for at least one course that is starting within the next 30 days.  Incorrect information will result in rejection during the school invoicing process and the spouse will be held responsible for paying course costs.

Spouses are responsible for requesting Financial Assistance before the start of each course. Courses with different start dates must be submitted as separate requests. Further the spouses must work with their school officials, following the schools and MyCAA enrollment and Financial Assistance procedures. 

Spouses interested in this program should visit  

School Officials may help the spouses by suggesting a program of study and sources of exams for licenses and certificates and by suggesting courses to include in their Career and Training Plan. 

Officials can validate school and course information on the approved Financial Assistance request prior to course start dates to avoid billing problems. School officials must submit grades or evidence of course completion to MyCAA within 60 days of course end dates.

MyCAA Career and Education Consultants (1-800-342-9647) can help spouses: explore career interests, evaluate school options and compare programs of study, including costs and review and approve their Career and Training Plan.