Overview of Massachusetts Tenant Landlord Laws

In the state of Massachusetts, only a licensed salesperson or real estate broker can charge you a fee for finding a dwelling to rent. The law in Massachusetts prohibits discrimination in housing. The rental laws differ in each state. It is wise to know the rental laws in your state and how they may affect you and your family if you are a tenant. There are two types of tenancies in this state and they are at will and lease. Tenancies use to be oral, but not any longer. Many evictions in this state are for not paying rent. If you have an at will tenancy, then the landlord must provide you with a written notice 14 day Notice to Quit. This notice can be also obtained from the Rental Housing Association or the Constable.

If you are a tenant under a lease and you are being evicted, then you should examine the lease to see the required time. It is usually 14 days for most reasons. After the time has expired on a notice to quit, then the landlord can proceed to file a complaint form on the tenant. The sheriff or the constable are the only ones who can serve this process. In the state of Massachusetts, the landlord must go through the court process in order to evict the tenant. Sometimes eviction laws are subject to change. It is best to know the eviction laws in case it happens to you. Everyone’s situation is different. It is important that you have good communication with your landlord. A lot of times, problems can be solved without having to go to court.

Once you are served the eviction order and you refuse to leave, then your landlord has the right to physically remove your things. In Massachusetts, a tenant can seek advice from an attorney. Just as the landlord has rights, so does a tenant. If you are a tenant who occupies a rented dwelling, and you have an at will agreement, not a lease, then your landlord has the right to terminate the agreement at anytime. You should know that you will be more protected under a signed lease agreement. You landlord will determine the best for you and is able to give you advice on renting. If you damage the dwelling, then you should expect to pay for your damages. A security deposit will often cover damages.