Residents of Florida can apply for food stamp benefits online or at the local Department of Social Services. During tough economic times, financial hardships Food Stamps can help to pay for groceries for you and your family. The Food Stamp program is designed to provide supplemental food to families, children and the elderly in the form of a EBT debit card. Food Stamp assistance can help to stretch the food budget and the contribution can help to ensure proper nutrition.
The federal government has guidelines in place that must be met before Food Stamp can be issued, but each State may have additional requirements. Food stamps are not intended to feed a family for the entire month, they are intended to help a family have more money available to add to their food budget. Employed low-income families care usually certified for up to six months at a time. Listed below are some of the eligibility requirements for Food Stamps in Florida.
* You must be a resident of Florida and a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or qualified alien
* Have a valid Social Security Number
* Meet income requirements;
Family of 1 – Gross income must be less than $1,174
2 – Gross income must be less than $1,579
3 – Gross income must be less than $1,984
4 – Gross income must be less than $2,389
* For most applicants, less than $2,000 in the bank is allowed.
* If you or someone in your home is disabled or 60 years of age or older, the allowance is less than $3,000 in the bank ,in checking or savings accounts.
After submitting your application, you will be scheduled for an interview with a case worker your application will be reviewed and you will typically receive a response by mail as to your acceptance and the amount of benefits you are eligible to receive based on your specific financial situation. Take the following information with you:
* Proof of current income – check stubs or official statement from your employer.
* Proof of current address
* Financial statements; including bank and savings account statements
* Utility bills
* Recurring medical bills
* Valid Social Security card
The maximum benefits you can receive include:
$200 for a family of 1
$367 for a family of 2
$526 for a family of 3
$668 for a family of 4
Most approved applicants received stamps for three to six months or more. The actual length of eligibility and any other instructions, including when you will need to submit your information to apply for continued benefits, will be mailed to you. Each county in Florida may have more or less of the requirements listed above, check with the Department of Social Services. To apply for Food Stamp benefits online, go to myflorida.com/accessflorida.