What to do if your Social Security Number is Stolen

If your Social Security number has been stolen, then you could be a victim of identity theft. There are quite a few ways that it can get stolen if you are not careful; these include the Internet, trash, and mail. You should be careful when providing your information to on-line sites. If you bank online you should make sure that your information will be safe and secure because ID theft is a really big issue in the United States today. When your Social Security number is stolen, it can cause real big problem for you such as ruining your credit ratings. Your Social Security number is a part of your identity. There are a few place that you can report this problem.

The first place that you should contact if your social security number is stolen is the Federal Trade Commission. You can visit the Federal Trade Commission at their website at www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheftor you can call their toll-free number at 1-877-IDTHEFT. If your social security number has not been stolen then you can still visit them to get helpful tips and advice on how to prevent ID theft. You can also contact the Internal Revenue Service to report that your social security number has been stolen.  You can call them at 1-800-908-4490. A thief can do much damage to you by stealing your number. The thief can apply for a job and file taxes with your identity and you do not want this to happen to you.

You can also contact all three credit bureaus to report that your Social Security number has been stolen. You can have your credit report monitored for any illegal activity. You can also request a free credit report at  FreeScore360.com. If you have any disputes about charges to your credit, they will be happy to handle the problem and assist you. If you think that the thief has obtained your social security number over the Internet, then you can file a report through the Internet Crime Complaint Center. You can visit the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.13.gov. You can tell them if you think that your Social Security number is being used on-line by someone else.

Identity theft is serious and should not be overlooked. You can also apply for a new Social Security card with an new number. You should visit the Social Security Administration to do this. You can contact them to fill out an application on-line by visiting them at  www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf. You can also notify your credit lender to let them know the problem you are having and they will help you prevent the thief from making new loans in your name.