Filing VAT TReturns Online
It contravenes the law for one to evade or even delay in submitting the VAT taxes. Today, the online technology at the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) makes it easier and faster, for one to file the VAT returns.
In order to access this online technology, one has to register his/her Personal Identification Number (PIN) online. To register online involves the following steps;
1. 1. Log onto www.krs.go.ke/portal, open Tax Payer Registration link and on the right hand side under Online Service, click on Tax Payer Registration.
2. 2. Choose either New Tax Payer (if you don’t have a PIN) or Existing Tax Payer (if you already have a PIN)
3. 3. Fill in all mandatory fields with asterix then confirm correctness and submit
K4. KRA will respond through your email address providing you with a PIN, Password and Security Stamp.
5. 5. Go to Taxpayer Registration and fill in the PIN, Password and Security Stamp, then log in
6. 6. Change your password (for security reasons) to a password of your own choice, which must be (Eight characters, i.e six letters and two numbers) as instructed.
7. Choose Main Menu, Enguiry then Print your Taxpayer Registration Certificate. You may refer to the ‘Step by step guide’ provided on the KRA portal.
You can file your returns directly online by; lod in your password, select RETURN, then fill in return, select VAT TAX, then select the period of the return, vat3 RETURN will be displayed on the screen, complete the return and submitAlternatively and the most recommended way is to complete the return offline using Tax Payer software (TSW) downloadable free of charge from the portal (www.kra.go.ke/portal)after completing the return log in the system using your password, select RETURN, then upload return, browse and attach the zipped file and submit.
For a payment return, use sub menu RETURN, ENTERNAL SERVICES then generate ESLIP. The ESLIP should be taken to the bank for the payment of the tax. Take note that you can create as many taxpayers as you can in the TSW and also you can create as many returns as possible for the taxpayers created in the TSW. Once you have created the returns, you can only file (upload) one at a time. For many purchases, EXPORT TO CSV (Comma separated value) icon displayed on the right column and work out the VAT3A in an excel sheet and copy and paste on the CSV file.
If you have accounting software, configure it to produce a report in the form of a VAT3A and then copy and paste it to the CSV. After completing the CSV, save the file. The next stage is to use IMPORT FROM CSV icon displayed in the right icon. You will be directed to open the CSV file and attach. Save and Save for submission. You can then file the zipped file using the process described above.
You can still use the same method for VAT3B and VAT32.
Take note that there are free KRA online training sessions every Tuesday and Thursdays, starting from 9 am to 1 PM at Times Tower, 5th floor, and at KRA stations country wide, on days and time specified by the respective stations.
In this era of outsourcing, the intricacies and time spend on filing VAT returns should not affect any company’s main endeavours, when Finit Solutions limited exists to undertake this work on behalf of its clients. The Finit Solutions does not only posses high end profile of staff, but efficiency seems the company’s hallmark.
Courtesy of the KRA website