The Internet has made it so convenient for us in the sense that it makes doing certain daily or common activities much easier. One of such activities is banking. Despite the convenience of banking on the Internet, one has to take the necessary precaution to prevent any unforeseen circumstances. Here are some safe tips for baking online.
1. Never give your password to anyone even if the person is someone you can trust. If your password falls into the wrong hands, there is a chance that your account will have its balance being reduced without your consent or it being used for some illegal activities. The person whom you trust may not do anything to harm you but you will never know that he or she may be coerced to give your password to someone who will.
2. Change you password as frequent as possible or at least once a month. Changing your password makes it more difficult for hackers who hacked into your system to steal your password.
3. Choose a strong password for your online banking account. Use a mixture of upper and lower cases; numbers; and symbols for your password. In this way, you will have a very strong password that it difficult for hackers or anyone else to guess. Do not use a password containing your date of birth, a common word, your initials, or anything that is easy to be guessed.
4. Never response to phishing emails. Such emails are emails that are written by people who are pretending to be representative of your bank or the authority. In their emails, they will say that something horrible has happened to your account or they are fixing something that they require your password. If you are convinced by them, you will lose your password to them for their illegal activities including stealing your money. If you see a phishing email, act according your bank’s procedure. Do not reply to the sender or even tell the sender that you have reported the matter to your bank or anyone else.
5. Protect your computer from hackers by having a firewall installed on your computer, and having a security software that can prevent viruses and spywares that can be used to steal important information with regards to your bank account.
6. If your browser asks you if you want to save your password for your online banking, answer “No” even if saving the password saves you a lot of time from having to key in your password again or saves you from a lot of hassle if you lose your password.
7. Do not write down your password anywhere that every one else can see. If you are afraid that you will lose your password, save it with the Identity Save provided by Norton Securities.
8. Look at the balance details of your bank account to check for any unauthorized transactions. If there are, report to the bank immediately or as soon as possible.