Coverage that Pays for Damages to your Vehicle

There are two main components that make up automobile insurance coverage. The first is liability, and the second is physical damage. The latter includes the coverage of collision and everything other than collision, commonly referred to as comprehensive coverage. These coverages will pay for damages to your auto in the event of an accident and other covered losses.

Generally, comprehensive coverage will insure you against claims having to do with fire, theft and vandalism, as well as glass. Through some companies, glass coverage is offered without a deductible while allowing the insured to keep a deductible on the remaining portion of comprehensive coverage. A deductible is an agreed upon amount which the insured will pay in the event of a loss, and the company covers the rest of the loss.

Most people understand collision coverage to fix their vehicle if they are involved in an at-fault accident. What is not widely realized is that this coverage will also pay for damages to your vehicle in the event that you are a victim of a hit-and-run situation. This type of claim will still be subject to the deductible, however it will not be a chargeable accident. Another situation that happens frequently has to do with drivers illegally operating a vehicle without insurance. If an individual without insurance were to hit someone, that person would be able to put that claim through the collision portion of the auto insurance. It is possible to try and get money from the individual through legal means; however, if an individual is not carrying insurance it is usually because they do not have the money to continuously maintain it.

Property damage, which is also included in personal automobile policies, protects other people’s property that you may damage. This may include other automobiles, guardrails, telephone poles, or another object damage is caused to during an accident. This coverage does not fix your vehicle. In a situation where a person were to lose control of a vehicle and strike a parked car, the property damage portion of the policy would cover the parked car, and the collision portion of the policy would cover the vehicle being driven.

Be advised that while it is not required to go to a shop that is preferred or affiliated with your insurance carrier, make sure the shop of choice does not overcharge or charge more than a carrier is willing to pay, or there may be additional monies owed.